Sunday 7 December 2008

It was a Cold and Frosty Morning





photographs by me and The Boy

I have recently had two chapters returned to my supervisor, marked 'Redo' so I am desperately trying to rewrite and polish them before I head off to Paris and Budapest for my Christmas holiday.

I am working hard, sometimes clinical, sometimes infatuated by my topic. It's difficult to avoid all the distractions though, the farewell parties and drinks, formal dinners at Colleges, conversations about holidays, romances, the reduction in VAT, and, as always, Africa. Then there's that uneasiness that comes each year with the dark afternoons, when you have to stop yourself from hopping into bed at 5:30pm.

This morning's walk over frozen mud and grass and pools was a nice change, a distraction that was quiet, delicate and primal. Brought me to the feeling of states of nature changing: water turning into solid, breath turning into liquid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Budapest. I was there, for the first time, at a conference in the summer. It is a beautiful city where I enjoyed the Vasarely museum and the spas. I imagine in winter they'll be fabulous! I also got to see Santana play and then discovered we were staying in the same hotel. Better and better.