Friday 5 December 2008

Christmas Cheer Oxford-Style

Oxford students are always ON, or nearly always, and make that a lot of Oxford students. I am talking about switched on for the Best CV and Cleverest Ever competition. Being on all the time builds up tension and shame, which means that they often 'pass on the sting', to use a neat sociology phrase (although not one that has much weight in certain academic circles), if they see other people not keeping up with them in the bolt through life.

The other day a colleague asked me what he should buy his girlfriend for Christmas, specifically for their agreed upon cheap present exchange. He was thinking a scented candle. That smelt of mother's day or gift from a distant family friend to me so I suggested a pair of long fingerless gloves or a luxurious scarf from Topshop.

Then, from behind a computer, came this snigger from Competitor Student, "He He, that's funny..."

I said smiling, "What do you mean?"

Competitor Student said, "Just hearing you talk about Topshop in the Department, that's just funny to me."

I smiled in a slightly puzzled way and turned to my friend, but what I really wanted to say was: "WAS IT REALLY FUNNY OR WERE YOU JUST SLAPPING ME FOR NOT LINKING IT TO THE PRE-EXISTING LITERATURE? MERRY CHRISTMAS MRS CLAUS!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheap and useful presents for women? Sanitary pads of course!
I am so ON right now.

Anonymous said...

What a total weirdo. I am still puzzled as to why that's remotely funny.

xx

Anonymous said...

I realise my earlier post could have related to either the poster above me or to the girl in the lab. I suppose both apply?!

Anonymous said...

Kate meet Andrew, Andrew meet Kate.

x x

Kate - not long now. Yipperooni!