Wednesday 24 June 2009

Writing Muppetry

photo by: Yogma

I have spent the past couple of days blindly creating and destroying lead-in material for an article. I set up the problem and background, and then slowly find myself in the thick of the main body. I then review the lead-in material and find I can cut it out or at least pair it down. Next I construct some more of the body, then realise that this is not really the body, but actually perfect lead-in material for a more interesting set of arguments so I then cut some of the earlier lead-in down and write more. The result is that the more I write, the more lead-in material crumbles away as if it can't keep up with the meaty bits. I realise this is, in part, inevitable and even very healthy or it may simply be the product of a devastatingly weak outline, but, in any case, it feels idiotic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have been in that situation so many times that now I always write my intro last, so that I can draft the body freely (and accommodate changing streams of ideas). Are you done with the rest? If not, maybe just leave the lead alone until you're done and can enjoy crafting something? It's way more fun when everything else is finished...far less stress, and you know where you've ended up, writingwise. ;)

Love your gummy bear parade, ps.

Good luck! Hang in there!