Friday 10 October 2008

Blue Day 2008


October 10 is World Mental Health or Blue Day! A day when the tech and social media community in Australia can work together to raise the awareness of anxiety and depression. Register your support today.

One of my family members has depression and one thing we spoke about last night on the phone was their frustration that depression was often perceived by others as an all encompassing trait, unlike say Diabetes or a lost limb. But she also acknowledged how hard (and I would add tiring) it is for people to know what the symptoms of depression are versus what would count for any one else as 'normal' neurotic (negative, obsessive, sentimental) behaviour or critical thinking.

Fortunately, she is feeling far more balanced these days, and probably the most positive she has felt in a decade, which is wonderful. Although, I have got to say after such a sustained period of intense lows, the sudden change has left me with some vague (and not admirable) feelings of 'Hang on a minute, I have yet to catch up! No one warned me!' Overall, of course, I am feeling excited and smiley too.

Keep going! We're all here to share in it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss MM! I've tagged you on my blog :)

Anonymous said...

I second that tag. Looking forward to hearing from you when you're back in Oxford. Lotsa love xx